Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

The retirement home of General Paciano Rizal


               I frequently travel to Los Baños, Laguna but I have no idea that the house of Gen. Paciano Rizal is located here. I just heard from someone that when Gen. Paciano Rizal left his hometown Calamba, he decided to have his retirement home in Los Baños.

Gen. Paciano Rizal was popularly known as the brother of the Philippine National Hero, Jose Rizal. Little has been known of this man, the shadow behind Jose Rizal’s achievements and one of the unsung heroes of the Philippine Revolution. Interested in his heritage, I travelled to Los Baños, Laguna to visit his retirement home near the shore of Laguna Lake at the side of Los Baños Old Municipal Building.
                When I arrived at the area, I observed that his house is usually unnoticed by the public. It has a high metal gate and a concrete fence. In the beginning, I had difficulty entering the shrine because there was no guard or doorbell at the entrance. I just tap at the gate hoping for someone to hear me and let me in. After a few minutes, the gate was opened by a young woman. She is the caretaker’s sister tasked to clean the garden. I asked her if I could enter the shrine and take some pictures.  She asked me a few questions, and let me in. I learned that Paciano Rizal's family welcomes visitors by appointment. The caretaker and her sister were kind enough to let me enter without prior arrangement.
                General Paciano’s house is maintained by his great grand children. I like the way they preserved his house and turned it into a shrine. It has a large facade enclosed by a garden which makes the sight calm and breezy. I was amazed to find out that this house was designed and built by Architect Andres Luna de San Pedro, son of the well-known painter Juan Luna. A monument in honor of Gen. Paciano was built at the side of the garden. His bones are stored at the center of the garden together with the bones of his two sisters, Josefa and Trinidad. A concrete stair with a curve to the right leads the way to the main door.
                Inside the shrine, there is an atmosphere of the past. The wooden floor is well polished with wax. It brings back memories when I was a little kid where one of my household chores is to polish the floor with Bunot (a coconut husk cut in half). The living room is plainly decorated which shows the simple lifestyle of the Rizal family. The Master’s Bedroom is furnished by a dresser with swinging full-length mirror, a sewing machine, wooden table and chair and a rattan swinging chair. At the back is a balcony where I can see a scenic view of Laguna Lake and a playground which was built by the local government from the property donated by the Rizal family.









                Los Baños, Laguna is appoximately 2 hours drive south of Manila, Philippines.To visit this shrine, you may call or text Ms. Ester at 0919-9227829.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews